General Beta Information Mar 14, 2016 2:53:19 GMT
Post by Jake on Mar 14, 2016 2:53:19 GMT
Ok, we're getting close to releasing this thing, so here are some basics you need to know about the Beta. And of course, ask questions and ye shall be answered!
- WHAT'S A BETA? The Beta is an early version of the game that is not considered complete or ready for public release as it contains known or suspected bugs, but is stable enough and complete enough to merit widespread testing by a select number of Beta testers. Partaking in the Beta process might have some downsides, such as the possible loss of saved games when a new Beta version is released. (But we have cheatcodes so we can get you back on your feet quickly if that happens). These Beta Testers will have access to the game early for the sole purpose of helping the development team identify additional issues that need to be addressed before the game is ready for prime time.
- WHO CAN BE A BETA TESTER: The Beta will be open to anyone who wants to play the game for the purpose of identifying bugs/issues and reporting them to the development team. No game design or computer experience needed, but it could be a plus. The biggest thing we need from our Beta Testers is reliable, useful reporting. Yes, playing Sundog early will be fun, but there will be a bit of work involved. And the game will probably be buggy - that's why we need your help!
- HOW CAN I BECOME A BETA TESTER? Send us a 20 word essay written on the back of a $50 dollar bill. Nah, seriously, when the time comes we will post a link on the website and the forums to a Non-Disclosure Agreement, whereby you the undersigned swear and affirm upon pain of death that you will not release copies of the Beta into the wild. Because we all know what happens then... starry-eyed Beta Sundog will run off with neighborhood bad-boy Star Wars Battlefront and together they will procreate Sunwars. Or Stardog. Whatever. It just can't happen.
Anyway, after you electronically sign the Non-Disclosure, you will be given a password for you to send via forum private message (PM) to the Beta Manager (Kailef) who will upgrade your forums account to Beta Tester rank. This will unlock all the Beta Boards, which include game download links, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, and Beta Discussion.
- WHAT DO I NEED TO RUN THE BETA? The game is written in Java, so you will need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your computer. As of this writing, the current version of JRE is 8, and can be obtained here: Java JRE Download. If you have JRE 7, that should work as well. As for hardware, we recommend the following:
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 pixels or higher Memory: 2 GB or more
- COOL. WHEN'S THIS HAPPENING? Excellent question. Most likely by end of March, 2016, though that's subject to change.
- SO WHAT TOOK SO LONG? Another excellent question. Stay... right... there... Don't move. Our orbital laser's targeting reticle is almost lined up on your noggin...
Hard Disk Space: 150 megs
Graphics: Graphics card that supports OpenGL with proper device drivers installed
That being said, you might be able to play the game on a hardware configuration that is less than suggested above, with the exception of screen rez and HDD space. That's non-negotiable as of right now (future versions might have capability to go smaller).